"Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah."

Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2:8

Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Can't Wait to Get Started!

¿¿Que tal familia?? 


¡¡No puedo creer qu solo tengo una semana mas aqui en el CCM!! Time is seriously flying by for me down here in Guate. And the fact that I'm already 1/12 of the way through with my mission scares me! It's going to pass me by too quickly! But anyways thanks for all of the emails this week! I'm glad that I had a normal pday this time so that I got to hear from all of you without any problems. Ok let me try and get all of the important stuff that I need to tell you out first so that I don't forget. The lady that gave me the $100: I don't know where the card is but I know that their names are Rob and Leslie Schnieder and they live in OP. So see if you can find their address again and write her a little thank you note for me will you? The only place that I would say to check downstairs would be in the nightstands and in the dresser drawers. Also you said you are sending me a package, so make sure that you send it to my mission address cause by the time I get it I will be in the field. I need a good mesquito net for sure and that's about the only thing that I can think of right now that I need in the package. So I'm looking forward to getting that! 


So about the eye situation, the doctor told us that it's not in the specific rules that you have to wear glasses but that they are working to change that rule and said that if you wear contacts there a good chance that you will get bad eye infections (not because of unsanitary conditions when putting them in, but because of all of the pollutants and other things in the air here that get on your eye and get trapped by contacts). He said one person became virtually blind in one eye because of an infection and he had to be sent home. So I'm just going to not take the risk and wear glasses the whole time. I got my perscription so thanks for that! I had to go and get another pair of glasses while I'm in the city for sure because we are supposed to have 2 pairs of glasses (Hate to say I told you so mom...=P) so I bought a pair and it's going to end up costing me about $50 for the frames and lenses, so not too bad. But I need to withdraw some more money before I go out into the field next week and to pay for the rest of my glasses. I tried taking some out, but the ATM didn't work for some reason yesterday and only let me take out about $20. So could you just check and make sure that there's nothing wrong with my bank account? Sorry I don't mean to pester you with money issues, I just need some quetz. before I go into the field and that will probably be one of the last times I have to get money out for a while. Thank you! Ok. So I think that's everything that I needed to tell you all. 


Ok so now to respond a little bit to your emails. Mom- really glad to hear that sister Beatty and Brother Stevenson are doing better I will be praying for both of them. Please send my love to everyone in the ward! Sorry that you didn't get to talk to me on the phone mom haha but I did try to call you first =P I think maybe it was better that you didn't talk to me =P But dad only got to say about 7 words anyways so it's all good. I'm excited for you to pick Matt up! I can't wait for him to be home and see you all and everything. Make sure you tell him that he better email me more once he gets home! Dad- wow sounds like you are busy and a little stressed! Sorry to hear that. But I pray for you every day so just know I'm thinking about you and the whole family. I pray for all of you :) I hope that you can get a chance to relax a little bit for your birthday. You can go ahead and take some money out of my account and go treat youself to a nice dinner. My treat =P I was actually thinking as well about in D&C how many times the Lord basically says the same thing to people when they ask about their role or what they need to do in the church and how that can apply to us because the work is the most important thing for all of us that desire to work in the church. We need to all be trying to teach the Gospel to others! 


Alright so this week was an awesome week. Monday I got to go contacting in el Parque Central. It's a really beautiful part of the city with big old Spanish colonial buildings and everything. It's really pretty, but we weren't allowed to take pictures so you'll just have to wait or look up pictures online. We taught basically 3 people in an hour and a half. The people here are so talkative that it's hard to only talk to people for just 5 minutes! One person was catholic and wasn't really interested in the Church or our message, but he told us that he appreciated our work and that anyone who is spreading the word of God is good. That's how most of the people are here. Even if they don't want to hear the message, they respect and appreciate us and will listen to us, so the people are really nice and great here. But the 2 people that we had really good lessons with I feel sure are going to get baptized! They were both really great contacts! They first man (I don't remember his name) told us that he had heard of the church and had read a little bit from the Book of Mormon. We taught him a little bit more and gave him a Book of Mormon and taught him about how Jesus Christ came to the Americas and asked him to read in the Book of Mormon where it gives that account and he was really excited to read it. The other man, Eduardo, was absolutely golden! We talked to him and he was super nice the whole time. At first he didn't really seem that interested in our church kind of like the other people, but then he said "my question for you is, why are there so many churches? They all say bad things about other churches and talk about the 'true church' but which is the true church?" We of course jumped on the opportunity. We basically taught him the first lesson all about how Jesus Christ established His church and that because the peoplwe were so wicked that his church and His authority were lost and because of that people began to take some of the truths of Christ's teachings and change things. We eventually gave him 3 pamphlets about the Restoration, the plan of Salvation, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Byt the end he was very interested and wanted to learn more and go to church and read the book of Mormon. He told us near the end that 2 months earlier he had had a dream where the Lord had taken him up into some beautiful mountains and he said he knew that that represented him being saved with God, but  that he didn't know how he was supposed to be saved and that he had been looking for the true church and the way to be saved. I testified to him then that God had sent us to talk with him that day to tell him the way that he can be saved and just said "amen". It was really a neat and spiritual experience, especially for my first time proselyting. I can't wait to actually get started! The next time you hear from me I'll be in the field!!!! 


Real quick, we went to the temple today and one of the temple workers came up to me afterwards and told me that he didn't believe that I could still be in the CCM because of my Spanish. I'm not trying to boast or anything of my ability to speak Spanish, but like Alma the younger I glory in the strength of the Lord. I know that I couldn't have learned what I know now on my own and that the Lord has been watching and blessing me. I know that he has given me the ability to be able to speak Spanish and I'm so grateful for that. Well I have to go now but I love you all tons and miss you. Look for pictures next week on Sister Torres' blog! Love you all tons! Nos Vemos!    


Con amor, 
Elder Jace Norton.

No comments:

Post a Comment