"Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah."

Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2:8

Monday, June 6, 2011

Change Seven!



Hello dear family and friends from beautiful Senahu! The weather is nice today but there is a lot of "musmushab' " (when it's drizzling or misting). It's actually kind of nice because it means that it's not quite so hot. It's been pretty hot here lately so I'm thankful for the cool weather.

First and foremost I have to say that I'm not sick at all anymore, I feel great, and I'm really happy. Sorry if that last email sounded sad or homesick. I really wasn't all that sad haha I just was thinking about how I loved Memorial Day weekend. I am still just as happy and focused here on the mission and I'm doing really well. So no need to worry. I'm happy, healthy, and doing better than great here in the Lord's work.

OK- on to the big news about changes! I found out on Friday that I will be having a change to...THE CAPITAL!! I don't know exactly where I'm going, all I know is that it will be a lot different from here in the Polochik! I'll find out on Wednesday exactly what the name of the area is and who I'll be with. I leave for the capital tomorrow to be there for the change conference. Haha I'm totally kidding. I don't have a change at all!  (What a stinker!  He had us all worried for a minute!) I'm staying in the blessed land of Yalijux with my same good old comp, Elder Gutierres. Things will be pretty much the same except for the fact that we will be covering two new areas now in San Francisco and Sechaj. They ended up closing Chijolom and the Chijolom Elders were the ones who worked in San Francisco and Sechaj, so now we'll be covering those areas instead. San Francisco is about an hour from Yalijux and Sechaj is about 45 minutes from San Francisco. I've never been to Sechaj yet, only Yalijux, but Sechaj is supposedly really beautiful. There's a really cool waterfall there that I think you've already seen pictures of. I'm not sure when we are going to start working there yet. Maybe this week! Im really excited to be able to work in these new areas. We'll probably work in the beginning of the week in the new areas and then go up to Yalijux Thursday or something like that. I'm not sure. But we're getting to the point where we've contacted all of Yalijux and we're running out of new people to teach. So it will be fun!

Now about this past week: I was on divisions this past week with an Elder Tambriz who is in Se'ritk'iche'. My comp went with our DL in se'ritk'iche'. Elder Tambriz  and I had a good week. We found an older man and his wife that are really awesome! We started teaching them about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and we taught them about the things we need to receive and do in this life in order to live with God again. We taught him about receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and we asked if he had received the gift of the Holy Ghost. He told us he hadn't and so we taught him all about what it is and how it's so important for us to be able to get through all of the trials of life. He was getting pretty excited about receiving something so great and asked how he could have it. Then we read from Acts 19 where it talks about a group of people who were baptized and Paul asks if they had received the Holy Ghost. They told him that they had never even heard of the Holy Ghost and asked what they should do. Paul then baptized them in the name of Jesus Christ and then layed his hands upon their heads to give them the gift of the Holy Ghost. He was really getting into it and really wanted to receive this gift and so we told him that he needed to be baptized again in the name of Jesus Christ in His true church. He said he wanted to do it but that he was already in another church and had been there for 8 years. The Q'eqchi' s are very sensitive about changing churches because they say that "going to church isn't a game." At the same time they also say that "the church where we go doesn't really matter as long as we do what's right and as long as we worship God." They are a very confused people. But we told him to pray about it and testified to him that his church is a good church, but its not the true church of God. It can't be because it doesn't have all of the parts of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm thinking and praying that he will come to realize the truthfulness of this church and will be baptized someday. So we'll see! We haven't been able to meet with him since.

In other news, the family that we had baptismal dates with have been faltering a little bit. All of the kids have been coming to church and are doing well but the dad and the mom are starting to waver a little bit. The dad is having a lot of doubts like what will happen when Elder Gutierres and I leave and about little things like "sometimes the people in your church talk bad about other people." What it really comes down to is that he doesn't truly have a testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel and this church yet. It kind of stinks because he can't read which means he can't really gain a true testimony of the Book of Mormon all that easily. But I think that we will read more chapters together with him and keep trying to strengthen his testimony so that they can keep progressing and be baptized soon. Also, we wil be having a baptism Saturday of next week with a girl named Ana who is getting married to pretty much the most spiritual family in the branch. She is really cool and is doing really well. She's come to church already 3 times, so we are going to get them married next saturday and then baptize them here in Senahu. I'm really excited for my first baptism in Yalijux! The Chijolom Elders told us that there are also a lot of people in our new areas that are progressing and will hopefully be getting baptized soon, so hopefully we'll start seeing a lot of success soon. Keep praying hard for these areas and for the family of Victor Caal, for Ana, for Vicente Caal (the one who hasn't received the gift of the Holy Ghost), and for everybody out here. Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers in their behalf and in our support! :)

Now for a quick few comments:

Matt- WOO!! Haha I'm really happy that you got a date and that you found a possible job! I've been praying a lot for you so be sure to thank the Lord for what he's blessed you with and I'll keep praying for him to bless you more! Hope the interview went really well and hope the date is fun. Let me know next week. Also you should keep trying to go to the singles ward with Sam and Daniel! It might be a little harder to go there instead of with mom and dad, but you  are already being blessed a lot for going there and you'll probably be blessed even more! Also that way you can find cute girls to write me ;) love you man and I hope you are always doing well. You better be studying your scriptures in between job searching and watching the Anthony what's-his-face case.

Dad- Thanks for the bit about Moses. I love that story too and it's so true that the knowledge of who we are and faith in Christ can help us to cast Satan from our presence and even cause him to tremble and shake. Christ has infinitely more power than him and he allows us to use that power as we are righteous and faithful. It's very true that as missionaries we have to a lot of times literally cast Satan away with temptations and things like that. I'm thankful for Christ's power and righteousness to help me fight off the sins and the fiery darts of the adversary. Also thanks for telling me about the Book of Mormon you gave away. It may not have been a huge thing, but for that person it could be the most life changing thing ever. Make sure to follow up a little bit after a while and pray for that person. You'll see miracles! Love you dad!

Mom- hey! :) sorry if I sounded sad last email. I promise you that I am far from sad and I'm not homesick too much :) I just can't wait to do those things again when I get back next year. That's cool about the conference and also about everything going on at the house. Be sure to send pictures so that I'm not too surprised when I get back! Also I liked the story about President and Sister Watts. They seem like they will be a really neat couple to be here working with us. I can already tell that they love us which is good because we already love them too! Elder Larsen says that you guys are invited to go to his homecoming haha. It will be around fathers day. He says you should talk to his mom about going to CO to visit. They have a cool lodge and can show you the beautiful places where they live. Could be a fun vacation and you'd get to talk to Elder Larsen! Love you!

Kinzie- WOO!!!! (that was about your good grades on finals!!) Did you end up with all A's in your classes or just with the finals? That's really great though and I'm proud of you for doing so well. Keep up the good work! Sorry i missed your dance recital in your fruit rollup sea monester costume. But Don't worry there will be plenty more of those to come ;) Love you tons!

Jack- just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you either. Love you bud! Hope you are having a fun summer and that you are helping mom around the house and being a good deacon and representative of Jesus Christ. You are my hero bud. Keep having fun. Love you!

Alright well my time is all up so I hope you all have a great week and I will write you again next week. This is the Lord's true church. The Saviors lives and is coming again to rule upon the earth. Always do the work of the Lord and prepare to receive the Lord at his Second Coming. Thanks for everything! Love you

Elder Norton


No comments:

Post a Comment