"Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah."

Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2:8

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Setting Hospital Records and A Baptismal Date

Hola from rainy Guatemala!  I hope you guys are all doing really well and that you have had a good weekend since the last time that I wrote. 

Ok before I write anything else I need to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY KINZIE and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD! Don't worry I didn't forget about you guys it's just with all of the crazy stuff going on I ran out of time last week after writing the letter and forgot to say something in my email. (Although I have to say that me calling home last week worked out pretty nicely to get to call for Father's day (and Kinzie's bday too) ! ) So I hope both of you had a great time and that you were treated well by Mom Jack and Matt. I sent a package with Elder Larsen with pictures and with a letter for Kinzie for her b-day but I'm assuming that it hasn't gotten there yet? If not it should be getting there pretty soon.

Anyways, things are going really great here and I feel better than ever. I feel ready to go back to the Polochik! First I guess I'll fill you guys in a little bit on last week in the hospital. Everything was really fine I just had pnuemonia and they were worried that I might have some other type of infection from the water and so they wouldn't let me leave until I didn't have a fever anymore. So I was there until Friday. I actually broke several records being there.  1) longest time spent in a hospital. 2) Longest time spent wearing a hospital gown. 3) Longest time gone without shaving/ longest scruff I've ever had (not saying very much at all yet...) 4) Longest time spent in front of a large flat screen tv without watching it. 5) most saran wrapped meals received consecutively in one week. 6) most times losing at chess to Elder Mitchell in one week. So those are some of the things that will give you a little idea about my visit to the hospital.

Friday and Saturday we didn't work and just stayed home and rested for the most part. Sunday we went out and taught a couple of lessons. It's been raining a lot here these days so it's been hard to go out and work. I'm not really supposed to work in the rain...But the good news is that we put a baptismal date on Sunday! We have a really neat investigator named Juan Antonio who is just a really awsome guy. He has been reading all of the pamphlets we have given him and has been reading the Book of Mormon. He understands pretty much everything and is progressing really well. On Sunday we talked to him about baptism and about how important it is for him and after that he said that he needed to get baptized. He feels sometimes like he's not ready or that someone needs to be almost perfect in order to get baptized so we're helping him with that. His baptismal date is for the 23rd of July and we are hoping to baptize him and his wife, Maria Natividad. So that was really cool and I'm glad that the Lord has blessed us so much, even though I've been sick and we haven't been able to work too much. In other news, Elder Rivera already left for Coban for his echange on Friday. Then, Saturday Elders Vindel and Wadsworth (From my group!!) came to be the missionaries of El Fiscral 2. BUT, just yesterday we found out that Elder Wadsworth has another emergency change for another area in the cap and we are being put in a trio again with Elder Mitchell and now with Elder Vindel. I had to go and have an interview for my temple reccommend yesterday with President Torres. It was cool because I will get to be one of the last people that he interviewed before he left. He really is a great man and has helped me out so much here. But I know that President Watts will recieve the same revelation and help the mission out . So anyways, we are going to work as hard as we can and show Presdent Watts our love and support for him.

Other than that I don't think there's much else to tell. Today we left really early and went to the temple! That was the first time in about 9 months! It was so refreshing and awesome. I listened to the whole thing in Q'eqchi' and it was amazing. I felt the Spirit super strongly and it was just really cool. Hopefully I'll get to go back sometime. Oh and yesterday I went with the doctor to do a check up and he told me that I look fine and that he thinks I'll be able to go back to the Polochik after another week or so. Woo! So we'll see what happens!

Alright now onto a few shoutouts·

Matt: I'm really happy to hear that you had a good date with that girl and that you are doing so well with your work! It really makes me happy cause I've been praying a lot for you! So keep up the good work. Thanks for the email and thanks for being a great brother!

Mom--here are the answers to your questions: I feel pretty much all recovered. I still am on some antibiotics but other than that I should be off the pills pretty soon and from there I'll be all better. Elder Mitchell is from the city that never sleeps, Las Vegas. We get along really well and I just love being his companion. It will be interesting now to see how well things work out with him and Elder Vindel. Elder Vindel is also from El Salvador.  Elder Victor Manuel Guttierres.  (I asked him for Elder Gutierres first name so that we can send him a thank you package.)  He doesn't know too much English but yeah somebody can help him translate. As for my package the only things that I can think of that I want is one of those changeable mechanical scripture marker pencil thingies. That's the only thing and my glasses and a camera. Thanks mom :) I'll get to meet President Watts on Friday in a big conference for all of the missionaries from the capital. Thanks for your support mom and trust me when I say that I know you would have been down here in Guatemala at my bedside in a heartbeat if you were allowed to come see me ;) But just make sure you use this story to help get girls to write me more ;) ;) Love you mom, you're the greatest!

Dad- I hope you had a great father's day! I just want to let you know that I think you are the greatest guy ever and  I really do look up to you more than you know. (Even to the point of thinking that doctors here in Guatemala look just like you. Speaking of which I was never able to get his picture, but I swear it was you Guatemalaficated.) (He told us that his doctor looked just like a Guatemalan version of his dad) Thanks for having such a great sense of humor and for also being the kind of dad who gives me a great example and who has taught me all of my life the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I hope to be like you someday and have the same qualities and traits that you have. You are the best! I can't wait for when I get back and we can hang out again. You, me, Matt, and Jack will have to have some awesome father-sons outings and hang out.  Just know that I love and respect you very much and wouldn't trade you for anything. Not even an iphone and an ipad =P  PS. yeah I for sure want to live with Matt and if Mark and Twoody are down I'd love living with them. I'm not sure if they were still planning on it or what, but if you want to try and coordinate it with their parents that would be cool. Love you dad!

Kinzie- FELIZ QUINCEÑERA!!!!!!! Mi hermanita ya no es muy chiquita! Ya eres grande, pero todavía tu corazón esta con CANDADO! Te amo mucho y eres mi mejor hermanita. I hope you had a really good birthday you little freak (King Julian) and I better not hear about any birthday hugs from boooyyysss! (Arnold Schwarzenegger) Know that I love you and I'm glad you are my sister :) Keep up the good work and being such a righteous girl. See you in a year!  (He even uses accents in his letters.  That is SO Jace!!)

Jack- just wanted to say congrats on scout camp! Sounds like you'll get your eagle scout award a lot faster than Matt or I ever did haha. Keep preparing yourself by camping so that when you get sent to Guatemala you will be used to it ;) Love you Jack and write me whenever!

Alright, well my time is all used up. Sorry if this letter is not as great as others, I've actually been struggling to stay awake! It's been an early morning and a long day with a lot of food so that's probably why =P But I love you all tons and I'm just grateful for all of you and for everyone supporting me and thinking about me here in Guatemala. Love you guys!

Elder Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment