"Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah."

Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2:8

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A New Assignment

Hello to everyone from cloudy Guatemala City! Right now I'm in a fairly large mall called "Tikal futuro" in the capital using internet and getting ready to go bowling. But just to make things clear from the start, I didn't have a change to the capital. I'm sure that you are all excited to hear where I am, but I'll explain things in just a minute.

So, I went to Coban on Tuesday and stayed the night there with all of the other Elders that were going home or to the capital. We had to get up at 1 in the morning to help all of the elders get their suitcases out to where the bus was and I didn't end up getting back to sleep until about 3 so I was a bit tired. But the McDonald's we had eaten Tuesday made it all worth it. Wednesday morning we were talking about changes and I was with a few other elders that I am good friends with. We were all pretty decided that I was going to go back to the Polochik.  Anyways, I left with a few other elders to go shopping in used shoe stores (shoe pacas) and to look around. When we came back to the house the other elders said "Elder Norton we have your change and some really important news for you!" So I ran upstairs and asked where I was going. They told me to guess. I said I didn't know and guessed Senahu. They said no and then said I'd be going to a place called Salamá. Salamá is the area of the zone leaders of the zone that I was just in while I was in Taktik. I knew that they had to just be kidding and so I told them to tell me where I was REALLY going. But they told me that they weren't joking. A few minutes later Elder Williams, the AP, called and confirmed that I'd be going to Salamá to be a zone leader. I was completely surprised.  There was another elder who was in my zone last change who had a change but who supposedly just needed to stay at the zone leader's house with his suitcases, so everyone thought for sure that he would be the new zone leader of Zona Verapaz. It's kind of weird being zone leader out of nowhere especially in the zone that I was just in. But things have gone well so far. As soon as I was told I was zone leader I had to start taking care of the elders and sisters in my zone. I had to help coordinate all of the changes that were happening in my zone and had to wake up early once again on Thursday morning and move suitcases and all that good stuff.  So I kind of feel a little bit inadequate I guess, but I know that this is where the Lord wants and needs me to be and that there are people that need my help in Salama.

Ok, not too much time left so a little about the area- it's HOT. When I say hot, I mean hotter than any other area I've been in and is kind of like Polochik I guess, but still not as hot as back home. It's a big valley so it doesn't rain too much, usually just at night sometimes. It's a branch, and I'm in the center of the city. It's a pretty big liltte city and is usually pretty busy. But it's still not as big as..Overland Park probably. It's pretty much mostly Spanish but there a lot of people that speak other languages- Q'eqchi', Aoqomchi', and Achi'. I've already found a couple of families that I was speaking Q'eqchi' with so I'm excited for that. We have a baptism this Saturday that we are really excited for.

My comp- Elder Contreras from Honduras. He was my ZL this last change so I thought it would be kind of weird being with him now, but it's not at all. He's a really great and funny guy. I swear he's so much like a little Pakistani guy. He looks and talks a little bit like he's from Pakistan so it's really fun haha. He was really happy that I got to be his comp and we already are teaching really, really well together with a lot of unity and love. So I'm excited for this change with him.

Right now I'm in the captial because the zone leaders have "concilio" (conference) with Presidente Watts every first week of the month. So we are having our p-day today in the capital instead of yesterday (sorry for the delay.) But I'm SUPER excited to get to be with Pres. Watts and receive lots of counsel and inspiration from him. I'm also REALLY looking forward to Sister Watt's cooking!

Alright, well time is up, sorry guys the internet place cut me 15 minutes out of my time. I love you guys all tons and I ask for your prayers and support in my behalf as I start with these new responsibilities that the Lord has placed me with. I'm excited for the increased Spirit that I can already feel and hope to keep changing and being a better missionary for the Lord.

Love you all tons! Until next week,
Elder Norton

ps- happy labor day!


No comments:

Post a Comment