"Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah."

Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2:8

Monday, April 9, 2012

Sahil Ch'oolejil choq' eere sa' li rahil kutan a'in! Or in other words, Happy Easter!




I hope you are all doing well and that you are in high spirits and good health. Things here are going well for the most part. This past week was pretty good but just a little bit lame because of some possible parasites that snuck into my stomach. I'm not really sure what it was that I ate that had parasites...I ate one blackberry, one strawberry, and one mango all in the same day. It could have been any of the three. It wasn't really too bad- just lots of ha'-sa' (water stomach = diarrhea) for a couple of days. It was weird because when I would sleep at night or when I was laying down I felt fine and I would say to my comp "ok I'm feeling better, let's go". Then as soon as I started to get ready my stomach started hurting again and more water stomach. So we missed a couple days of work which was a bit frustrating to be honest. We went to La Tinta on Friday to buy some pills that kill parasites and it seems to have worked pretty well. Anyways, apart from that the week was good. Monday I started divisions with Elder Ware which was GREAT. We had a lot of fun together. We hiked a huge mountain, almost suffered a heat stroke, made chow-mein, and got caught in a huge rain/hail storm that lasted for an hour and a half. (we were really close to the house when the storm came so fortunately for us we were able to get inside before it started raining.) It was a fun division to say the least.

We are still working with our investigators to get them baptized this Saturday but things are still complicated a little bit. The thing is that the municipality here asks for a simple medical certificate saying (more or less paraphrased) "I don't have AIDS and therefore can get married to my spouse". So when we told them that it was a requirement, the dad of Alicia, our investigator, told us that he didn't want her to go to the hospital. He's apparently afraid that they are going to take out anywhere from half of a liter to a liter of blood, and so he's saying that if she has to do that to get married it's better if she just doesn't do it. So right now we're trying to figure out what to do with that. We might go to a different little county/ town to see if they will let us do the marriage there without the medical testing. But we'll see. Pray for us please! We really want to have this baptism this Saturday!!!

Alright on to some personal comments:

First of all, here are my thoughts on the picking me up thing. If there is even a possibility that Dad wouldn't be able to come then I say we just wait and all come back maybe next year or something. I would rather just come home and see all of you at once. Besides that will give me an excuse to come back later on. And it looks to me like maybe it's not in God's will for it to happen yet, because it seems pretty unusual that the appeal would be denied by the other party and the judge. So that's what I say. We'll just wait. We can go on a low key trip to Colorado or Michigan or Chicago or some other fun place. I'd rather do that and see you all at once :)

OK. that said.

Dad- hmm. I actually think it would be better to take the current Hebrew class instead of the biblical class. It's true that I want to be able to read/ understand the bible in Hebrew but I would rather learn how to read it instead of just learn a few passages or something like that. Besides I am interested to see the similarities and differences between Q'eqchi' and Hebrew. Also I have been considering trying to go to Jerusalem maybe one semester at BYU Jerusalem. That would be cool! Also I did tell Matt that I think learning Japanese would be awesome but I think for now I'm going to wait. I am more interested in learning Arabic and Hebrew. Apparently Arabic is a language that will be handy to know for business and trade etc within the next few years. (I talked to a senior couple here where the Sister is pretty much a linguist. She speaks 4 languages fluently and is learning Q'eqchi'.) So I'm not sure to be honest. Also thanks for the update on applying for the MTC. I think it would be a good job because from what I can tell it is fairly flexible in terms of time- like, you get to make the schedule of when you come and when you teach and everything. So we'll talk more aobut that on Mother's Day. I'm sure it would be really hard to stop teaching seminary after having taught for so long if they release you. But the Lord will always find other ways for you to serve in the ward :) You do an outstanding job though and all the kids really love you a lot. You're the best dad! I love you. Thanks for being such a Christlike man.

Mom- wow! the temple is BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to go with the whole fam!! (and yes I very well could get sealed there! YIKES!)  It will be awesome to live so close to the temple. I am going to stay in KS and look for a house between you guys and the temple. Having my family close by with a beautiful temple and close to the New Jesrusalem! What more could I ask for! :) Thanks for the talk and for the update on politics. Mitt Romney 2013! I also heard through the grapevine that KU lost to UK. Bummer. But at least we always represent KS in NCAA bball. Thanks for your testimony mom :) It always has been a support for me. As for my package I don't think there's really anything that I need you guys to send me really. I think that I'm all set with what I've got. The thing I would most appreciate is a bunch of "Polochik ties". Just look at the ties of all of the Polochik elders. Elder Ware's mom sent him a bunch of Polochik ties haha it was really funny and awesome. Just that I guess :) thanks for all you do for me mom. you're the best!!! Love your guts! =P

Alright guys well times up once again. I'm excited to talk to you all on the phone for the LAST TIME in a few weeks! Love you all!!!!!

Elder Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment