"Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah."

Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2:8

Monday, June 11, 2012

A Fun Day in Se'muq Champey





HELLO!

Hope you aren't all as tired as I am today!

This morning we woke up at 3 in the morning to head out for a zone activity to these cool pools of water called "Se'muq Champey". We were waiting outside the zone leader's house at 3:30 for the big cow truck to come and take us all up to the place. We waited and looked for 2 hours and finally found the guy at 6:00. We headed out on the 3 hour long drive in the back of a big truck used normally for transporting cows or horses (and in Polochik, lots of people...). It was a crazy and fun ride. Most of us rode kind of on the top sides of the truck and since the path we took wasn't the most traveled by, especially by big cow trucks, there were a LOT of branches that were low and we would have to duck and cover our heads with our backpacks to sheild us from the whipping branches of the trees. It was a lot of fun. Once we got there we semi- met up with the 2 other zones that also went today to the same place (Zones Verapaz and Coban). It was good seeing some familiar faces and other elders from my group. I got to see Elder Lemus, my old comp because he is still zone leader in Verapaz. So it was fun seeing him. We went up this pretty steep hike to a "mirador" (look out spot) where we took pictures of the green, cristaline waters. It's a pretty awesome sight. 



While at the top we ran into a couple different groups of people. The first was a group of 4 whiter girls that were speaking in what appeared to us to be German. They asked me to take a picture of them (in English..they spoke English very well almost without hardly any accent) so I took advantage of the opportunity to ask where they were from. I was pretty surpised when they told me they were from Israel. I wouldn't have guessed that I don't think. They were speaking Hebrew but were all fluent in English. I told them that I was going to study Hebrew when I got back because it had a similar structure to Q'eqchi'. They were really friendly and said that I definitely needed to come and see all of the great Christian sites in Jerusalem. So that was pretty cool. After that we found an American couple from Colorado and talked to them for a while too. Anyways, we got some good pics and painfully watched other people swim in these cool pools and then headed back in our cow truck. It was a good time with some good quality talking time with the other elders during the ride and some good laughs. But one thing's for sure, I'm dead tired.

Well, this past week has gone by in the blink of an eye as well. We got a reference of a young man who is brother in law of an ex missionary. We put a baptismal date with him already because he has already been talking with his brother in law for a while. We put the date for August 4th...I don't think I have to explain to you why the thought of that made me pretty baggy.... (he comes home August 2nd!)

Other than that we had a great lesson with Domingo and Rosa. We had the inspiration to talk to them about "True marriage" as instituted by God to Adam and Eve. We explained that when God married them, there was no party, no caldo, no new corte, no inviting friends, no nothing. Just Adam, Eve, and God making a promise to be faithful to each other and keep God's commandments. They took the lesson really well and we taught as well with a member who didn't do anything special or traditional for his wedding. They were pretty convinced and the only question they have now is about what will happen with their personal ID's after getting married. So we're hoping that within the next couple of weeks we'll see another white weekend.

Alright time's almost up. Here's some personal shoutouts:

Mom- haha that's fine with me whatever you want to write on your calander. I'm sorry to hear that your shoulder has been killing you lately. I hope that you start feeling better soon. Speaking of surgery what ever happened to McKinzie and her supposed imminent surgery? Anyways the Q'eqchi' choir has only been published by me and my companion in Saqsuha. It's not too well publicized yet. But don't worry the Q'eqchi's will know. Thanks for always motivating me to keep doing the small things. I'm helping my companion a lot to learn that as well. He's suffering a little bit, but we all do here. I don't like to complain so I usually don't say anything about the heat or the pain or the tiredness. Being here has toughened me up a lot. I think I'll be ready to play lacrosse when I get home as well with Jack now. If not I could probably get into rugby. =P Anyways things are going well. Thanks for all mom. Love you and talk to you next week!

Dad- hey dad hope your case went well with the psycopath lawyers. Too bad that you couldn't schedule in some time to meet with the president. I'm sure he was disappointed not to have been able to see you. I'm sure it will be big news to see who will be the new seminary teacher. You'll have to let me know when they call someone. Yeah Satan always tries to make us prideful huh? But if I ever knew a humble man, it's you dad. I know you won't ever let youself be lifted up to pride. And I know you'll be great in your new calling. As for the NBA I heard about the thunder and the heat. GO THUNDER! Kevin Durant is the man. Root for them for me will ya? Love you dad thanks for all you do. Talk to you next week!

Jack- that's awesome about lacrosse! You are awesome Jack. That will be awesome going to camp at BYU. Have a good time there and keep working at it to get better. Sick jersey and pads. You already look professional. I don't have much time to write right now but I'll try to write me next week. Love you tons bro!

Ok guys, well my time's oficially up. Love you all and I'll let you know next Monday about changes. Take care!

Love you,
Elder Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment